Blitz Dames Roller Derby Boot Camp

Birmingham Blitz Dames - Birmingham, England's Original All Female Flat Track Roller Derby

Thursday 5 February 2009

Dames bring back another UK victory over Germany

You know what I love about being a Dame? Actually I can’t list it…. but I do adore the fact that I get to hang out with some of the world’s most fantastic people and travel the world with them.

This weekend saw the Dames head over to Germany to take on the Stuttgart Valley Rollergirlz in the New Year's Massacre. It was a much welcomed first away bout for us and it felt great to turn up and have no organising etc to do! And SVRG had done a fabulous job of that- they pulled a 620+ crowd and had to turn people away.

The venue was incredible, with balcony viewing for some lucky spectators. The only problem was that one corner was extremely slippy so Coke had to be poured down to help with that. Unfortunately no-one told me that they were still waiting for it to dry before mopping up whilst I was locked away in the ref’s meeting, so I skated out in front of the huge crowd and really embarrassed myself by slipping over….

I had to don the zebra stripes for this one after an emergency operation that ruined my Christmas and though I missed the track, I enjoyed every second of reffing. The ref gang were a great bunch to work with.

I can’t really comment on the bout because I was concentrating so much (it’s tricky!!!!) but I did see some excellent skating from both teams. The Dames go from strength to strength and were looking rightfully confident out there, even though they were skating 11 grrrls to 14. Better strategy and fewer penalties- they looked hot. And we won!! 71-98. Oh yeah!

SVRG hosted an excellent bout and afterparty (Das ActionTeam and The Teaserettes- what can I say?) and I want to say a huge thank you to everyone that was a part of it. Also, it was a shame to find that Miss Tsunami wasn’t skating and I wish her all the best with her back.


Our next bout is QUADrophenia in Glasgow on February 21st and the next home bout is on March 21st against Middlesborough Milk Rollers. We’d love to see you there.

Kiki Kasplat #79

No comments:

Post a Comment